A study by consumer products company Unilever in August 2020 found that 60% of people are now spending more than six hours a day in front of a digital device, meaning that five working days can have the same impact on the skin as spending 25 minutes in midday sun without any protection. 1 Billed as the “first ever skincare range clinically proven to block 100% of blue light and designed to reverse the signs of skin ageing”, Digital Defence, a new skincare brand from skincare and wellness company Higher Nature, is formulated to protect against harmful blue light emitted from digital devices (HEV) and reverse signs of “digital ageing” while also caring for the skin.
Three of the five products in the range contain DigiTect technology, a complex of active, organic and natural ingredients including lycopene, verbascum, knotgrass and rice oil that shields the skin against both blue and red light and reduces their harmful effects on the skin. The DigiTect products are:
• Day and Night Protection Serum – a lighttextured, triple-action serum that creates a barrier for free radicals while working to tone and brighten the skin and minimise visible lines and wrinkles.
• Moisturising Protection Cream – a hydrating, soothing and brightening moisturiser.
• Dual Action Eye Cream – a nutrient-rich eye contour cream to soften the appearance of creases and reduce puffiness around the eye area as a result of digital ageing.
The range also includes a cleanser and treatment mask:
• Hydrating Cleansing Milk – an ultramoisturising, light cleansing milk to gently remove impurities while soothing dry and sensitive skins.
• Exfoliating Treatment Mask – a gentle acid enzyme peel with glucono delta lactone acid to encourage cell renewal and a manual exfoliation with white bamboo and cranberry beads.
Key organic ingredients across the range include argan, olive and jojoba oils, shea butter and blueberry, lemon, ginger, mallow, bearberry, and liquorice extracts.
“We are constantly keeping up to date with emerging research to ensure that we are helping our customers to stay as healthy as possible,” commented Corin Sadler, who works in product development at Higher Nature. “Recognising early on that HEV blue light poses a real threat to skin health, we wanted to create a skincare range that blocks 100% of blue light. Awareness of blue light will only continue to grow so we hope to become the go-to for total HEV protection. “